Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why I'm tired of people

Many people that I've talked to recently may be wondering why I have been telling them about how I'm sick of people...I think I just realized a piece of it, and it's so simple.

The first thing I wanna say though is what I have told people in the first place. Basically, I've been feelin kinda down for a while...and it's mainly because I'm a bit sick of people. I don't know exactly why, but the thing is, I'm sick of it. The problem is that everyone has really really selfish intentions for everything they do. I'm not immune, just to put a disclaimer out there. But I guess as soon as I started seeing more and more the intentions behind actions, I realize the depth of our fall. A large portion of my frustration is that I'm growing tired of my friends basing their actions (where they go, who they hang out with, what they do during an evening, who they talk to) on a certain person of the opposite sex. Again, I'm not innocent of this, but to see it for what it is is very eye opening. And one thing I saw in that tonight is that behaving in this manner subsequently, even subconciously sometimes, affects how one acts towards other friends. And it's all really fake.

Anyhow, the simple thing I realized tonight is that simply we are all insanely selfish. And it's a problem. But no one wants to confront others about their issues because of the fear that we're gonna be seen as intrusive or socially awkward. And so from this comes a nasty routine of bending one's wants and needs to a certain person, and even blurring the lines of friendship in order to get what one wants. And everyone has this problem, even the strongest of us.

What if we all became more transparent - what if we answered questions straight, without hiding anything, any intentions, any uncomfortable facts. And what if we were willing to ask really hard or awkward questions, and not water things down or shy away from what needs to be done?

God has really been teaching and showing me lately the benefits that lie with being single, or I guess He's rather been proving to me that what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7 is true. Paul is right. There are a LOT of advantages to being unmarried (single) and not that many disadvantages (if you're not being tempted sexually). I think that having my attentions fully towards pleasing God, if they remain so, can be a HUGE advantage for this school year, particularly the first semester.

But man, are we selfish. So selfish. Think if we could change. What if we could be more like Christ?


Surely we can change.

No comments: