Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Bio for national merit:

Sometimes at night I look at the billions of stars merely to remind myself that I am small. My life has been a difficult journey, an arduous struggle to remember that in all I do, I am nothing. My high school years have done more than just shape me into the unique character I am, allow me the opportunities I have been given, or simply give me some fun experiences; they have reminded me that the blessed life I have been given is neither deserved by me nor owed to me. These years should not be wasted on me, either.

Knowing my place and seeing things from God’s perspective are crucial to me. In the context of God’s plan, any talent or ability I have can only be credited to the grace of my creator. This causes me to put others before myself and to realize I am, in fact, only a small piece of the puzzle. Playing guitar unaccompanied is satisfying, but when complimented by the other instruments in my church’s praise band, I can both shine in my niche and provide the opportunity for others to excel in theirs. Likewise, my optimistic attitude and contagious joy don’t do much good when I’m alone but are a greater boon when I am teaching and “loving on” the elementary school kids at the after-school program of my church.

Undecided on a college major, or even a college choice, I continue to pray and weigh my options. I have been entrusted with wisdom and knowledge for a reason. With these blessings come great responsibilities, and I want a career that can channel every gift and talent I have so that I may serve others to my greatest extent. My passion for social justice leads me to want to do mission work during my college career or after. Furthermore, I want to attend a Christian leadership college in order to learn how to better serve the church.

Even so, my life is not centered about achievements or accomplishments as much as it is character. I am a man of my word. I live by the standard of absolute integrity in everything, from the biggest decision to the smallest detail. I strive to respect, love, and tolerate everyone unconditionally, knowing that I am undeserving of the unconditional love given to me. I am not insecure, but am confident in who I am, and though I value relaxation, I put an emphasis on hard work in all I do, making the most of what I’m given. Time is of utmost value to me, and when I have completed my life I want to have spent it wisely. I desire to leave a legacy of love and humility by taking responsibility in helping others while remembering that in the big picture I am nothing. As Helen Keller said, “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.” Just as there are billions of stars in the night sky, my light shines in the darkness as one of the billion. And I believe I can make this world just a little bit brighter.

No comments: