Monday, November 24, 2008

Bandwagons!

You know sometimes I don't understand why people always say they want to leave so badly.

Everyone's always saying "I can't wait to get out of abilene, I hate this place, or I just can't wait to leave."

I think people, myself included, tend to get caught up in the mindset that once we leave, we're gonna be completely new people.

Because the people who say how much they can't wait to leave are also many times the ones who go on and on about how they want to make a difference, how they love people, and they want to reach people and see great things happen. It appears they think that by leaving they'll be new people that are unashamed of the gospel, un-apathetic, ready to see great change in their new environment. Do they seriously think that a change of location is equal to a change of heart?

Here's my thing: I want change, now - just like everyone else! But I don't want to say that and then go on and on about how I want to leave this city behind in the dust. I believe that as a bible believing lover of Jesus, my heart is compelled towards the place I am, here and now. I must be active in my home! In abilene. My heart is for God to do the amazing things He's doing at IHOP, and Hillsong, and Bill Johnson's church HERE. There's nothing wrong with going to some of these places for seasons to be equipped, experienced, and filled. But when the reason we're leaving our HOME is because we simply want those experiences for ourselves, we have become selfish, apathetic, cold, uncaring christians who are willing to disregard home for faraway experiences in comfort of that being the "accepted thing.". Laziness is the key word here - we are too lazy to bring IHOP and Hillsong to home...because, let's admit, it's far easier to go and have those experiences in their current natural environment than it is to fight for changing the atmosphere of our home and our surroundings. We can't leave these cities behind by copping out and jumping in on a powerful christian bandwagon faraway. Those bandwagons, like IHOP, started out as people doing the hard things to make change in their environment and circumstances, and the end results are obvious. Now they're so powerful that they're sweeping christians in along with them! I think it's about damn time Abilene had a bandwagon!

No comments: